Thursday, May 10, 2012

An Ode To A Shoulder



I often find myself staring slack jawed and wondering at the small details of my beautiful daughter.
Her big sparkling brown eyes, her flawless vanilla skin, my favourite crooked white tooth on her bottom jaw.

I got lost in a similar reverie the other day - her shirt had slipped down over one shoulder, leaving her with a slightly rakish '80's disco air and I became entranced by the small shoulder peeking through.  It is so little, so delicate and fine boned, yet contains so much unmapped possibility - she will sling a school bag over that shoulder, wrap the arm attached around friends and loved ones, perhaps lay her own sleeping child over it one day and marvel at the life she has created.

It made me realise that this time when she is mine, wholly mine, will last for such a short time. Soon (too soon) she will venture out into the world and I will lose her a little.
A moment in time where I stared at the sun glinting off a beloved body part will fade into the ether.  I will forget it, she will never know it and the period in her life when I was young and she was a toddler will be unimaginable to her.

This is why I need a blog - to capture the small details of our history. Her history.

3 comments:

  1. And capture it you have! Absolutely gorgeous piece of writing Taylor. You have a gift girl. I look forward to following your beautiful reflections x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh God, I've got tears in my eyes reading that little piece. Beautiful writing Taylor. Really special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey - This is such a gorgeous piece of writing, and what a lovely idea to capture these memories. You have the gift of writing - You should write a book. I'd buy it. x
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete